Tour De Nez Outreach is a 501(c)3 charitable organization
From the very first time we held the race in 1992, we could see that the whole cycling thing was bigger than the Tour de Nez. It’s good for our bodies. Good for the planet. Good for creating community. Good for the soul. So we created the Tour de Nez Outreach, a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization, to operate the event. In turn, funds from the event are channeled into the mission of Outreach.
The mission of Tour de Nez Outreach is to promote cycling as the ultimate environmentally sound, healthy, family-oriented, fun-for-all-ages, accessible, community-minded activity.
Tour de Nez Outreach has led or partnered on bike-related projects, such as
- Reno / Tahoe Bicycle Summit, bringing together all agencies and programs involved in promoting cycling for health, transportation, and recreational purposes
- Creating [still in process] a regional bike share program we call LINK
- The Truckee River Gran Fun-Do which is a fun recreation based ride that supports our Outreach and other cycling projects such as the Tahoe Pyramid Bike-Way
- Sponsoring the Invited Address by Bob Mionske, U.S.A. Olympic Team member, pro cyclist, and noted cycling attorney and author of “Bicycle Law”—the foremost book on laws governing cycling across the United States
- Creating and sponsoring “PopArtCycle”, a collaboration between Tour de Nez Outreach, Artown, and Trial Science, Inc., for businesses all over Reno to decorate and display a bike that reflects their business, then sponsoring a bike tour to ride to all the entrants’ locations
- Lobbying and cooperating with various legislative bodies to promote bike lanes, the “3-foot rule”, and other laws affecting cycling safety
In addition to tireless work in creating a regional bike share program we call LINK, we have created the Reno/Tahoe Bicycle Summit which is a landing world to tie all aspects of cycling in the northern region of Nevada and the Tahoe Sierras. We also produce the Truckee River Gran Fun-Do which is a fun recreation based ride that supports our outreach and other cycling projects such as the Tahoe Pyramid Bike-way.
Bubba Melcher, Executive Director
An innovative sports event promoter and entrepreneur, Melcher is in his second year producing Nevada’s Little City Stage bicycle race and festival. Melcher also teaches High School Shop at Galena High School In Reno and worked in their football program as the head coach. Melcher was a star Tight End for the Nevada Wolf Pack from ’78-’81.
Melcher was inspired to the world of competitive cycling by attending the Tour de Nez in the early days of the race and proceeded to win numerous national titles as a racer. Melcher’s early attachment to the Tour de Nez is a big incentive for him to make sure the 2nd 20 years of Nez get off to the right start.
2017 Board of Directors
Donald A. Pattalock – President
Don is currently the President of New Nevada Resources, LLC, owner of 1,250,000 acres of mineral rights & royalties and manager of 495,000 acres in Northern Nevada. Adjunct Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, University of Nevada Reno, Don is currently under contract with USA Rugby as a High Performance Referee Manager.
Don currently manages the Audi Cycling Team Reno-Tahoe and is actively involved in riding/racing bicycles and the ever growing biking community.
Dave Hartman – Board Member
Craig Demetres – Board Member
Mark Trujillo – Board Member
Stefan Weber – Board Member
Donations to Tour de Nez Outreach are tax deductible, charitable donations.